Our mission is be the best retail and commercial bank that earns the lasting loyalty of our employees, customers, shareholders and communities. Progress has been made in the following areas during the first quarter of the year.
- Plans were designed to maximise our strengths and improve the opportunities identified in the latest global engagement survey.
- MyContribution, the performance management model for driving transformation, continued. The first phase was carried out in January, setting the individualised priorities.
- A collaboration agreement was signed between Santander and Workday in order to put into effect a common human resources platform throughout the Group. This will enable enhanced management of the talent pool at the global level and of our professionals in a more Simple, Personal and Fair way.
- The Leaders Academy Experience was launched. This is a training experience to help leaders play their role in the Bank’s transformation, speed up change and be an example in this new phase.
- Various strategies continued to be developed under the commercial transformation programme in order to improve customer loyalty and experience. The number of loyal customers rose by 3.3 million and digital ones by 5.2 million.
- Of note among the commercial actions implemented in the first quarter was the launch of the 1|2|3 Profesional in Spain (the first joint offer of Santander and Popular) and of the Trusted Profile for SMEs in Poland, which enables companies to manage incidents with public administrations remotely.
- As regards the digital transformation, we launched Santander One Pay FX, making Santander the first bank to offer blockchain-based international payment services to retail customers in several countries. Cockpit, an innovative auto finance platform, in Brazil. CrediSimples, the new platform for contracting funds and retirement savings plans, in Portugal, and Online Banking individuos in Argentina.
- In payments via mobile phone, we launched Garmin Pay in Poland, which enables payments to be made using a bracelet connected to a MasterCard card and SuperMóvil in Mexico, a sales channel for pre-approved loans. Santander Spain is the only bank in the country that incorporates all cards in Apple Pay for all segments.
Data at 30 March 2018.
- The AGM was held, with the participation of more than 660,000 shareholders and a quorum of 64.55% of the share capital, the highest in the Bank’s recent history.
- Shareholders once again confirmed their confidence in the board, approving 98% of the agreements proposed.
- The prestigious financial publication, Institutional Investor, in its latest 2018 The All-Europe Executive Team annual ranking, rated Santander’s CEO and CFO as one of the Top 3 in their respective categories (Best CEO and Best CFOs). Our corporate website and the Analyst Days held in 2017 were rated the second best in Europe.
- Banco Santander renewed its presence in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), where it has been since 2000 continuously.
- The Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index ranked Santander as one of the leaders in diversity.
- A total of €183 million was invested in communities in 2017, with 2.1 million people helped and more than 44,000 scholarships granted.
- Santander reaffirmed its commitment to universities at the first European summit on education. Furthermore, it also renewed its cooperation with the Fundación General CSIC and assigned EUR 1.5 million to research and innovation projects and a new edition of the W30 and W50 leadership training programmes for female managers, university students and entrepreneurs.